Sitting behind a computer screen all day long can take a toll on your body after a while. You can always start your day with adjusting your workspace to minimize awkward and uncomfortable positions.
Proper office ergonomics such as correct chair height, equipment spacing and good desk posture can help you stay comfortable for longer periods of time.
Here’s a guide that will give you a better visual of your workspace!
1) If you use the phone a lot, use a headset to avoid cradling the phone on your shoulder.
2) Select a chair that supports your back in a relaxed, upright position with a slight arch. You may need a lumbar roll (or a rolled towel) at your waist.
3) Keep hard-copy documents at eye level by using a document holder.
4) Keep elbows at a 90 degree angle, with elbows close to the body and forearms parallel to the floor. Keep wrists straight, supported by a foam pad or chair armrests.
5) Position monitor at eye level, directly in front of your body, about an arms length from your eyes (at least 18 degrees).
6) Tilt the monitor or adjust lighting to avoid glare.
7) Use a keyboard and/or mouse that is designed to be ergonomically correct. Keep the mouse close to the keyboard (or on the keyboard, using an elevated mouse pad) to minimize reaching.
8) Keep upper legs parallel to the floor with the feet flat. Use a footrest if your feet don’t reach the floor.
Kick Physiotherapy & Sports Medicine Inc. is proud to offer you advanced physiotherapy intervention and treatment in the community of Vaughan (Maple and Woodbridge). We are a multidisciplinary group bringing you other services including physiotherapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, custom orthotics, bracing, and video analysis. Whether you’re a Sunday morning golfer, a professional athlete or a stay-at-home mom, Kick has the expertise to provide you with first-class care to help you return to work or play, as quickly as possible. If you have any questions regarding repetitive strain or ergonomics-related injury please feel free to email us at contact[AT]kickphysio.ca.